Tuesday 18 September 2007

First post




This is the first post of my first blog. I was inspired to create it partly by the excellent work of Jay and Kuchar at Esterson Associates, whose 'Things to look at' (http://thingstolookat.blogspot.com/) never fails to please with its varied selection of print work, and also by Jeremy Leslie, who keeps up a fascinating running commentary on the magazine world in his blog 'Magculture.com'.

I'd like to post similarly entrancing artwork to be sure, but I also want to create a repository of all those things which inspire me that don't fall in to the normal categories of graphic work. To that end I'm indebted to Paul Smith for my title, which is a paraphrase of his excellent book 'You can find inspiration in everything'.

Since much of the material I want to post needs either shooting, scanning or copying, my first submission is a modest one, but I found it tantalising all the same. I took these pictures in Newcastle last year. The fly-posters are on the front of a building which had been covered over since the sixties, so form part of an unintentional time-capsule.

One fragment advertises gigs for those frequent Top of the Pops-botherers Manfred Mann and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch, whilst another announces the first ever solo concert in Britain for Alex Campbell, the melancholic Glaswegian folk singer, but most tantalising is a torn section of Sunday Mirror, proclaiming with apocalyptic tones 'It could happen here'. If you ever wanted a piece of enigmatic, Schwitters-style inspiration, surely this it. It could happen here? It probably already has.

No comments: